This blog has moved!



This space remains so that
old posts/links are accessible.



Please visit and subscribe to
the new
LavenderLuz.com.



Subscribe via Feedly

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Ummm. What's wrong with this picture?

Shall we count the ways?
Still available

1/2 Anglo, 1/2 unknown race
due 2-16-09
fetus appears to be a boy
presented 11-25-08

Mother wants a married couple or single woman
Heterosexual only agency adoption $4800 AdoptLink + $25,000 estimated including finalization if baby is mixed race
$39,000 estimated including finalization if baby is Anglo


AdoptLink (currently about a third of the way down; search page for "Aleda.")

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am I reading right that the baby (human still, I will assume) is cheaper if not Anglo? Wouldn't that mean if it LOOKS Anglo, because it would seem there is a good chance the child is of mixed race, right? Just extending the math, Anglo features are worth just over $9,000, or roughly a 25% increase?

Forgive me, I could be totally misreading this. I'm not very bright.

Julia said...

I am with BugFrog. Also nauseated. Excuse me while I run to the bathroom to throw up.

Ok, now that I am back and feel a little better... Who sets the fees, exactly? Quick, before I am compelled to toss the cookies I didn't eat. Again.

Heather said...

That is absolutely disgusting on about six different levels.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe this is legal! Isn't that fee schedule obviously black market crap? Maddening. Reminds me of an episode of "This American Life from last year titled "Matchmakers" and one of the stories was about FAO Schwartz's newborn nursery where little girls could go "adopt" a baby doll and how when it turned into a hot toy for Christmas, the dolls disappeared in this order: White, Asian, Hispanic, "Damaged/Defective dolls" and finally Black dolls. Such a sad story.

Kristin said...

O.M.F.G. I truly can't believe this.

Waiting Amy said...

I'd like to say "shocking!", but I'm not. I'm simply reminded of how sad human nature can be. Horrifying and saddening.

KLTTX said...

Although this is really gross, I don't think it is that uncommon. A lot of agencies have different pricing for non-Anglo races. Sad, but true.

Andy said...

THUD!

I have no words.

Yoka said...

I saw this and I was wondering the same thing. Thank you for pointing it out again. This is truly wrong.

chicklet said...

1. Heterosexual matters?
2. Costs more if the baby is white?

Who the f* are these people and why are they even allowed to do that??

Melissa said...

Being that were involved in breed rescue for DOGS I am firmly against back yard breeders. Now we've got them in the HUMAN FORM!

WTH?!!???

Peeveme said...

I thought many agencies did they "white" babies worth more thing. Right and wrong (So wrong) agencies are responding to the clients who value white babies more I guess. It could also be that more white people are looking to adopt and fewer white children to adopt creating a supply and demand situation. Still....It does seem like human trafficking.

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Wow, incredible.

Geohde said...

Oh.

Um.

Not nice.

J

Kami said...

Nevermind the price difference, just the price alone presented like it is the sticker price is sickening. You would like to think huge profits aren't being made in the adoption business, but this ad makes me think otherwise.

Ick.

Cara said...

WTF?? I feel slightly prepared for this after reading the recently started Trial and Tribulations blog. He spoke of the range in ...well everything.

Still...what have we been reduced to?

nancy said...

A white baby is "worth" more? That's fucked up.

Anonymous said...

Who ARE these people?! How can they live with themselves? That is ten kinds of wrong. Like Karen, I can't believe this is even legal.

~Flicka

May said...

Someone must have said something- the site now says the father is African American and the fee is no longer in question.

Wow. Just... Wow.

luna said...

so disturbing.

we heard a story recently about a woman in the south who didn't know the father and planned to place if her baby was mixed race because her family would have disapproved. crazy.

..al said...

And these people are fertile?

This totally pisses me off (sorry for using that word, I did not have a better option).

What are they soliciting offers for? Dogs?

beagle said...

It's so sad to see it all boiled down to that . . . but it's a fact out there.

Our agency did have different fee schedules for mixed race or AA adoptions.

There is SO MUCH wrong with that listing!

I am past the point of reading those with hope and anxiety. And, yes, that is because I am home with my "premium" baby.

Sigh.

For what it's worth . . . the company line we got about the price differences had to do with government subsidy of some sort for "hard to place" children. So it's not that agencies charge more for white kids, just that they get money from our tax dollars to place those that are not.

(Not that this fact makes it any better . . . )

beagle said...

Even with spell check I screw up my comments!!

That middle bit was meant to say that I am relieved to be at the stage where I no longer agonize and feel torn over every available situation I hear about because I am no longer a waiting "parent"

(I know Lori knew what I meant but I don't want your readers to think I'm awful!)

I think the way "situations" are presented and "sold" and "advertised" is awful and feeds the desperation waiting couples sometimes feel. And the pricing issue is really horrid, but it is common in the USA anyway.

OK, now I took up WAY too much space here!

Karla said...

There is too much wrong with all of this. But I'll take him/her regardless of any of it. Sad, so, so sad...

MrsSpock said...

Um, there are a million things wrong with this. Is this child up for auction, with a white child costing more? Sick, sick, sick.

barrenisthenewblack said...

Classy, just classy. Way to go, Humans!

barrenisthenewblack said...

Since I'm new here, I should probably clarify that I'm being sarcastic. I hope that goes without saying

Anonymous said...

What is sad is that someone, probably many will think those are reasonable prices and respond to the ad. It's human trafficking if you ask me. And don't get me started on the race thing. Ugh.

DrSpouse said...

I knew that there were different agency rates for children of different races - I actually find the posting of mothers' details pretty offensive since I knew about the former but this is the first time I've come across the latter.