This blog has moved!



This space remains so that
old posts/links are accessible.



Please visit and subscribe to
the new
LavenderLuz.com.



Subscribe via Feedly

Friday, April 3, 2009

Guest post: Cutting my Q Time

While I'm on a business trip (cue violins -- I'm on the gulf coast of Florida), I'm leaving this space in the hands of some bloggers who may be new to you.

Keeping my chair warm today is Sheri from Wild Women of the Universe. Sheri and I went to Gynee College together when we were teenagers, and we taught our parents everything they know about raising children (with some help from our other sister, Tami, as well).

Sheri and her husband are raising 3 teenage boys in Colorado. Sheri also has a thriving life coaching business, where she uses her keenly developed intuitive skills. I should know -- she's done some amazing readings for me. Sheri's blog is morphing into a meeting place for people with spiritual yearnings -- women who are awakening. Check out her April Fool's Day Tarot spread, designed especially for people starting on a new journey.

======================

Although some people easily move towards or even thrive on change, the rest of us tend to wade through multiple options, potential consequences and can wear ourselves out with the mental gymnastics that accompany contemplating change. Trying to make a decision can be like running through quicksand. The more you contemplate and struggle, the deeper you sink.

When I get stuck like this, I call it Q-Time, where the “Q” stands for quicksand and represents the time I know to move on, but don’t.

My quicksand quagmire follies date back many years in my professional career. A couple of years ago I quit working at a job where I was making the most income I had ever made in my life. Yes, it was legal. I was selling memberships for our local Chamber of Commerce.

For the first two years, I was in love with my job. As I worked harder, I helped more people and my commissions soared. I was at the top of my game. And then, I began to get intuitive cues that it was time to move on. I was being called to something more in line with my BIG purpose – you know, the reason I’m on this earth type of thing.

I got the hit to leave about a year before I actually cleaned out my desk. What took so long? I wasn’t sure what I would do. I had no logical plan. How would I replace my income? What did this mean to my family?

I then realized that I was knee-deep in the quicksand; I was struggling…and I was sinking. At one point, after a very frustrating couple of weeks, I told my husband, “I just need some kind of sign.”

He rattled off all of the things that had been going wrong over the past two weeks and said, “What other signs do you need?” Oh yeah! The signs were there; I was just up to my eyeballs in quicksand and couldn’t see them.

I finally left and it was the very best thing I ever did. What gave me the courage? You might ask.

I did some pondering about what I was here to do and being the best salesperson at the Chamber was not my bigger vision. The reason I loved my job was because I love to help people. After a lot of research, inner searching, pulling my tarot cards and asking for guidance, I decided I was meant to be a life coach.

I quit working at the Chamber two months after my first life coaching training and I’ve never looked back.

Back to cutting down my Q-time…The key to this story is to know that ten years ago, it took me three years to leave a job I knew intuitively was not right for me. Quitting the Chamber a few years later took a year, and just a month ago, I quit a part time job just two weeks after I began to hear my intuitive voice say, “IT’S TIME TO QUIT.”

So I’ve cut my Q-time down from three years to one year to two weeks. My lesson is that when I get the intuitive nudge to move on, I should quit thinking of reasons why NOT to move on and start intuitively feeling how to move on…and then do it.

What’s your Q-time? Do you trust your intuitive voice? Is it time to make a change in your career, your relationships or any other situation where you find yourself sinking or stuck?

My guess is that just like in the quicksand analogy, the more still you get, the less you sink. And in your stillness, you can tune in to your intuitive voice and get the answers you need. You DO know what to do. Maybe the problem isn’t in knowing, but in trusting and doing. Now THAT is a whole other story!

6 comments:

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

My Q time varies depending on the choices and changes required. I trust my intuition, it's one of the tools in my toolbox that has served me well.
Excellent post, thank you so much, Sheri. Also, thank you, Lori for your wonderful guests.

Deathstar said...

Omigosh, I hem and haw quite a bit. I just did it when I was visiting dogs at the pound. The truth was, I was afraid to say no and hurt someone's feelings or some dog's chances at a good life. I was afraid of change so I hemmed and hawed. Change means risking disappointment and I've had a bellyful - so at the core of it is fear of being disappointed.

On the other hand, my intuition is never wrong, I just need courage to pursue it.

luna said...

I love turning the question around and asking HOW to take action instead of pondering all the reasons why NOT to act.

and I agree with Deathstar -- so much depends on our courage and faith in ourselves to take those big steps.

thanks for the guest post.

Terra said...

Oh, my Q-time is ever different. If I get intuitive about someone not great with my daughters my Q-time is about 2 hours, if it is about me I might have to say 8 years...Quicksand is a wonderful description for what we get ourselves stuck in. Thanks for sharing! Very thought provoking (for me anyway)

Kristin said...

"My guess is that just like in the quicksand analogy, the more still you get, the less you sink. And in your stillness, you can tune in to your intuitive voice and get the answers you need. You DO know what to do. Maybe the problem isn’t in knowing, but in trusting and doing. Now THAT is a whole other story!"

That is BRILLIANT!

Bonnie said...

I've always believed in the getting still idea but sometimes I forget to "be still" and hear my inner voice. Thank you for the reminders. Gives me lots of food for thought. Sometimes we get so comfortable it's hard to move even though we know it will be for the best. I'm heading over to check out your blog!