I write this from beautiful western Colorado, where I'm visiting my sister, Sheri, and her family. My teen nephew, Jake (who last year helped me with my M&Ms review last summer), helped me research some of the stunning features that surround his home.
To the northeast is the Grand Mesa (panoramic view courtesy Wikipedia. Click for bigger image.)

One the left of the photo, you see the Book Cliffs, with Mt Garfield left of center. To the right is the Grand Mesa, the world's largest mesa, situated between the Colorado and Gunnison Rivers. Wiki says that much of the Grand Mesa is within the Grand Mesa National Forest, which contains more than 300 lakes. The Grand Mesa was created at the birth of the Rocky Mountains about 30 million years ago, about the last time the Republican party had a coherent message (I say that as a New Age Republican).
To the west of Jake's house is the Colorado National Monument.
Prior to about 100 years ago, people thought that the Monument -- now part of the National Park Service -- was inaccessible to humans.
Now humans regularly hike, bike, drive and ride horses through these breathtakingly gorgeous geologic features.
Jake and I hope you've enjoyed your armchair tour of Grand Junctions' natural beauty!
For more showers and tellers click over to Mel's Show & Tell.
.





18 comments:
I do so love your armchair tours, political opinions not-with-standing, but I would LOVE to visit these gorgeous places in person one day!!
I did my daily vote because I know it's good for me :-)
It is an amazing place to live. I can't imagine having easy access to that.
What a beautiful location! Yet another place to add to my list of places to see!
Beautiful! Those mountains are so incredible. It almost makes me want to leave my flat lands of the midwestern prairie.
I KNOW, Cara. I am regularly embarrassed by this admission.
Oh, how beautiful. I would love to visit there someday.
Lori, oh my GOD. You live in a spectacular part of the world. I was watching a U2 DVD yesterday, and they filmed the videoclip for "Sunday Bloody Sunday" in 1987 at Red Rock, Colorado. I made a mental note to ask you if you've been there?
Thank you so much for the shout out, you are inspiring indeed. XO
So STUNNING! As I've told you before, I'd love to go to Colorado. And if I do I promise to pay a visit. :)
Oh, and I voted. Glad you have the disclaimer about the puppy, people might wonder... ;)
Spectacular, stunning, amazing! I really want to visit someday.
Beautiful pics. Some of them look a lot like the scenery from Montana.
Totally off the subject Lori, but I wanted to tell you that I nominated you for the ONE LOVELY BLOG AWARD. Please check out my post to claim your award. http://itsjustme-roo.blogspot.com/2009/06/one-lovely-blog-award.html
Thank you for the entertainment and inspiration.
My grandparents lived in Prescott AZ for 25 years. I visited many parts of the of the SW including utah, nevada and all over AZ. Those pictures remind me of some wonderful memories.
I love and miss the West so much! Thanks for bringing it around my way!
Lori - your S&T made me cry! I am so homesick it isn't funny.
Thank you a HUNDRED times thank you for some shots of "home". (I'm actually a Manitouan - but Grand Junction is a heck of a lot closer than Missouri right now!)
How beautiful! We have friends who live in Denver so we have spent a lot of time around Denver, Ft. Collins and everywhere inbetween. We definitely need to travel further west next time.
What an inspiring landscape! ;)
It's pretty amazing to drive west through Colorado, starting with Kansas prairie terrain, moving through the Rockies, and ending up with formations like those. My car didn't much like going uphill in the Rockies, but I enjoyed it all.
Western Colorado is beautiful! My hubby and I hiked Serpents Trail yesterday in the Monument. It was breathtaking! I love Colorado!
Thirty years ago (eek) my husband and I (then my boyfriend) lived on Fruitland Mesa. We could see Grand Mesa from our window! We went to visit it and were amazed at the snow in June, the waterfalls, the meadows.....wow. These pics stir-up a lot of fine memories! I'm in Jersey now and want to go back!!Thank you!
Post a Comment